Tuesday, October 2, 2012

MULANAY, the NEXT BIG THING!


Limestone coffin. Ancient burial ground. White bats. Large ant. 

Mulanay constantly surprises us with something out of the ordinary. This is not about the movie anymore. This is real life. Facts that are unfathomable. Tangible evidences of still undiscovered part of the history of mankind, not merely for Filipinos. Not just relics, but even interesting species that are continuously introducing themselves to us, reminding us to keep believing that hope must be kept aflame. Because even how grave the destruction had been, life is not over.   

A few years ago, I was supposed to go to Mulanay to give a lecture on Basic Journalism. This was after having successful seminars in Lopez. However, the project did not materialize due to conflicting schedules at that time. But this year, I've got to visit the place myself. Why? Because I believe it to be the next big thing and I want to see it "raw" before any development happens. 

At first, I was unaware that it was in Quezon when I read the title of the news from Associated Press through Asian Journal--- Archaeological finds of limestone coffins that existed about 1,000 years ago and never before found in Southeast Asia? Wow! Ancient burial ground of limestone, and clay shards that have yet to be fixed? I'm sure that more information will be unraveled by the National Museum soon! 

That was one. "But wait, there's more," so goes the famous line. It was reported by Unang Hirit in GMA7 that white bats were found in a cave in Mulanay too! And yesterday, I saw Manila Bulletin Online post the picture of a large ant as among the new species found in the Philippines. If "hamtik" and "hantik" were the same, we have that in Lopez too. And this was what I had been telling my townmates. Let us have an assessment of our local flora and fauna. It will not only get us closer to our own natural heritage but it is a way to discover whether all the species in our localities have already been identified. To some, I was like a fool believing into something that is impossible. But hey, Mulanay has proven me right. Maybe this is the message that we have to decipher on these recent events in this town in eastern Quezon. Let us look into our own backyards so to speak, and try to know it better. 

Now, who wants to go with me before something really big happens in Mulanay, Quezon?     

No comments: